Friday, March 11, 2011

Finished Object Friday -- Wide Leg Lounge Pants

The finished product!
 I have been wanting to adapt my cropped lounge pants pattern to a long-pants version all winter.  (What? I never showed you the cropped pants I made last fall? Shame on me.  I will post photos when I get them out next month.)  Now that Spring is nearly here, I found the time to give it a go.
First order of business was choosing fabric for the pants from my vintage bedsheet collection.

Easier said than done.

Then there was the job of modifying the cropped pattern to a long version.  A little tedious but not difficult.  At last I chose a bedsheet, pinned my pattern pieces on and began to cut.

 My normal method for making pajama pants is somewhat slapdash, but I had pretty high hopes that this pair would turn out especially well, so I took care with the pinning.

 Then I brushed up on my buttonhole-making (okay, I made my first, second and third buttonholes ever) because I wanted to try something new with the waistband:  an elasticized drawstring.  

Here's what they looked like:

 Not impressed? Neither was I, but you have to start somewhere.  I had to do a bit of finagling to get the drawstring to come out right, but in the end it worked.  Here are the finished pants:

 I wanted to show you a picture of me wearing them, but the truth is they are shaped a bit funny and look more like clown pants than the wide-legged yoga pants that I had been going for.  

I may have to bite the bullet and buy the pair of pants I want to copy in order to get this right, instead of trying to fake it with the cropped version.  

Anyway, they're comfy and the print is cute, and they will make fine pajamas.  I'm calling the experiment a guarded success!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh...they look extremely comfy. I can understand how you would have difficulty choosing the fabric, and I think you did quite well. The elasticized drawstring, while it sounds difficult, seems like a perfect choice for these pants.