Thursday, February 10, 2011

Frogging

Well, I had a premonition but I didn't want to say anything.  The neck looked a little too small, the sleeves a little funny, the chest not quite chesty enough.  And (oh, shame) I had not swatched.  I got about three inches into the body and had started inserting some desperate little increases when I noticed three little links on the Ravelry Shalom Cardigan page:


Oops.

So I read the first one.  How comforting that I am not alone.  And the second one.  Oh.  My.  That explains the weirdness of the sleeves and the tiny chest.  Now I know I must try my sweater on, because I am certain that it will not fit.  It doesn't.  When I am done swearing, I begin frogging while I read the third set of tips.


What's this?  A full schematic diagram, with a nod to Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears?  How comforting -- I understand how EZ's seamless yoked sweater works -- maybe there is hope after all.

Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes


I go to bed with the sweater half-frogged, thinking about stitch counts and percentages.


This morning, I am following EZ's recommendation of measuring my favorite yoked sweater, and then I will try to work out how to translate her seamless yoked sweater directions into the top-down design of the Shalom cardigan.  All bets are still on -- it's just that the challenge has become considerably more challenging.  I'm going to believe I'm up to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment