Tuesday, February 22, 2011

On my needles: The facing facts edition


On my needles this week are one project I have grown to love and one about which I have grown ambivalent.  On the right is a Pointy Elf Hat, for me, in the Strawberry Smoothie colorway hand dyed by Woolbearers in Malabrigo Gruesa.  I used this yarn to make everyone in the family such a hat at Christmastime except D and me, so now I am making ours.  The thick-and-thin merino is soft and luxurious to work with and I can't wait to put it on my head.  (Aside:  K gave everyone an "Elf name" on Christmas Day:  Grandma was the Cooking Elf, Grandpa the Sleeping Elf, D was the Computer Elf, Aunt S the Reading Elf, and Uncle A the Stinky Elf!  I, of course, was the Knitting Elf.)

The Shalom Cardigan, on the other hand, is turning out to be a bit of a disappointment.  Despite the many glowing comments I read about Cascade Ecological Wool on Ravelry, I am not entranced with the yarn.  I can see that it will make a good, sturdy, comfortable sweater but I am not falling over myself to knit on it.  I can see clearly that I will never make my end-of-February deadline with this sweater, and I'm having the occasional fleeting thought of frogging the thing and starting over with a chunky alpaca I have stashed away.  For the moment, however, I will persevere.  

If you have not already popped over there, I invite you to take a look at Soulemama's post for today, titled "an EZ set."  She has some whimsical and wise words to say about -- and quotations from -- the inimitable Elizabeth Zimmermann, knitter extraordinaire. 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful hat, love the color! The Shalom Cardigan is not exactly the sweater I'm looking for, but best of luck with that project! MK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find sweaters, especially cardigans, particularly intimidating to knit. And extra-so if you don't even love the yarn. It's too bad, on the screen the color and weight look lovely.

    And I'm still wearing my elf hat occasionally, as the weather requires it! Love that Malabrigo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are finally going to have an elf hat of your own! Love mine...it has been a great winter for it.

    ReplyDelete