Thursday, January 28, 2010

Blankets for Haiti

I have been watching for crafting opportunities for Haiti relief, and Project Linus has come through, coordinating an effort to collect 10,000 blankets to send to Haitian children.

You can help. Details:
  • Blankets can be of any size
  • Blankets may be knitted or crocheted, quilts, or fleece
  • Donation deadline is Feb. 20. (In practical terms, this means they must get to the Project Linus drop-off point by Feb. 20. If you want to drop them off with me -- and I'd be delighted to deliver them for you -- they'd probably better get here by Feb. 19th.)
My additional thoughts about the blankets are that:
  • They ought to be made of washable materials
  • When deciding on a size for your blanket, consider that it will be going to a child. This doesn't mean it has to be a tiny baby blanket, but a full-size quilt could be overwhelming (not to mention difficult to carry around.)
  • I know they need to be made in a hurry, but if you can add a little personal touch -- some embroidery, an applique, a crocheted flower or a ribbon -- something small but special, that would make the blanket feel more like a gift to the recipient than a charity offering.
I will post links to relevant web sites as they become available -- right now I am working from a sign I saw in a shop window and a brief conversation with the shop's owner. In the meantime, I hope you will consider taking on this project in whatever way seems appealing to you. If you need ideas, inspiration or materials, please contact me -- I can try to provide all three! If you think you can't make a handmade blanket but you want to try, I can show you how to do it in an hour.

Now, if you will excuse me, I've got knitting to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment