Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Cashmere!

What could be more perfect to warm a brand new baby head than a cashmere sweater, washed and dried until it's extra soft and fuzzy, sewn into a tiny tasseled hat?



The pattern comes from Sewing Green by Betz White, and I modified it a bit by hand-sewing the tassels on (way easier for me than the machine-sewing method she outlines), folding up a double cuff and hand-stitching it in place.

I was so lucky to find this fine-gauge sweater with the baby cables, providing enough material to make two sweet little hats. I've been thrifting avidly for the last few weeks, scavenging unbelievably cheap cashmere sweaters (the kind that go for $100+ in retail stores and catalogs) -- sometimes paying as little as $1 apiece. I have about 30 sweaters now, dismantled and ready to become luxurious cashmere throws -- another Sewing Green project. What a joy to work with, and what a joy to give!


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. And a joy to receive!

    Wow. That's darling!

    So soft and wonderful...Maybe I should start looking around here as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - cashmere is a very special gift, and I'm guessing this gift is going to be worn out before it's outgrown!

    ReplyDelete