Monday, January 12, 2009

Pajama pants pattern experiment

Let's just say it didn't go so well.

Ok, I got the instructions out and read them carefully. I figured out which pattern pieces I needed. I cut the pattern pieces out from that pathetic skimpy brown tissue paper. I pinned them to the fabric in such a way that they all fit with a little room to spare, and I cut them out with the rotary cutter (note: bad idea, regardless of what my sewing book says.) I cut the notches (note: cut them out, not in, next time) and penned in the dots with disappearing ink. Then I re-read the instructions and started to sew.

I tell you what, though, those dad-gum instructions are darned hard to understand, especially for someone whose visual-spatial comprehension skills are somewhat limited, as mine tend to be. Give me more verbal directions, please, explain to me what I need to do and then label your diagrams and I'll be fine.

I'm not going to tell you which parts of the pajamas I actually sewed together, or attempt to describe the anatomy of the person who could potentially wear the pants I produced. I'm just going to give it a little time, take a few good deep breaths, and try, try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment